Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Member Spotlight - Brenda Valliere

Dentist, Spouse and Mother, this member does it all - Meet Brenda Valliere


Emily: Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences, how long have you been a member of the Alliance?


Brenda: About seven years!



Emily: I understand that not only is your husband and father a dentist but that you are also a dentist yourself. What made you decide to join the Alliance?


Brenda: Initially I was drawn to the Alliance by the memories I have of my mother and her membership in the Isaac Knapp Dental Auxilliary. She enjoyed the friendships she made and all of the fun she had participating in the “Auxilliary” events and projects.


I have been very active in the local and state dental associations (IKDDS and IDA), and was pleased to serve as the first woman president of IKDDS. The excellent professional support of the ADA tripartite has been very helpful as a practicing dentist. As I got to know the dentists in northeast Indiana, I also got acquainted with their spouses. I became interested in the Alliance events at the local and state meetings, and attended my first AIDA Membership Luncheon about seven years ago. Of course, once I became acquainted with some of the AIDA leadership, it became increasingly difficult to say no to their invitations to participate! I have really enjoyed the events the Alliance has sponsored…they are a lot of fun combined with a service component!
 

Joan Lawrence, IN and Brenda Valliere, IN Convention 2012, San Francisco, CA
Emily: What projects or events have you participated in with the Alliance?


Brenda: Oh my…there have been quite a few. I really enjoy the monthly Alliance events we have with our Isaac Knapp component…everything from fundraisers for local educational projects and “We’ve Got You Covered” events to apron fashion shows and holiday dinner dances. And now I look forward to the IDA Alliance events at our annual session, especially the Membership Brunch.


As a dentist (and previous dental hygienist) professionally, I really like the dental educational component of the Alliance, as well as the legislative events. Of course, as a woman, wife and mother, I thoroughly enjoy the social events and the friendships that I have developed with the other dental families.



Emily: What has been your favorite Alliance project or event you have experienced?


Brenda: I think the most interesting event I have participated in was the Dental Day at the Capital meeting at the Indiana Statehouse this past January. However, my husband and I have thoroughly enjoyed the Alliance conferences in Phoenix, Richmond and Atlanta these last three years…educational, fun and rejuvenating!


Emily: You became the president of your state Alliance in 2012, are you excited to lead the group?


Brenda: Yes, I am very excited to be the president of the Alliance of the Indiana Dental Association. I really enjoy working with all of the dental spouses from across the state. We have such great leaders who are always willing to step up and help, no matter what the project requires! I have very big shoes to fill, as I follow Connie Slyby, our past-president. Hopefully I can provide the leadership and direction that the AIDA needs this year.
Brenda and Maxi Merkel, IN


My greatest pleasure is working with the other dental spouses. It is especially nice for me, as my step-mom, Maxi Merkel has become involved with the Alliance and we get to enjoy these events and projects together. I really enjoyed representing the AIDA at the AADA Convention in San Francisco last October. This is a pivotal time for the Alliance and I am excited to be involved.




Emily: What advice would you give a brand new member of the Alliance?


Brenda: I would recommend that they just jump in and get involved! Even if they just attend local events, it is a great way to develop friendships with other dental families. The Alliance goals are geared to support the profession of dentistry and the individual dental families, so there is always a lot of information that is helpful to any dental spouse. In addition, it is a lot of fun, so get involved! When they ask for volunteers, take a risk and say “yes”. You will be very glad you did!


Emily: Just for fun, If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go and why?


Brenda: I would love to go to Greece. I love history and the photos I have seen are fabulous, with the ancient architecture, the friendly people, delicious food together with the mountains and ocean! It sounds like a perfect spot for a vacation!


Emily: Thanks Brenda!

No comments: